You’ve seen the look a thousand times scrolling through the pages of social media and perhaps wondered if you too could pull it off—those full, pouty lips which seem to brighten up a pretty face.
- What would you look like with fuller, sexy lips or a more defined cupid’s bow?
- Who do you trust when it comes to plumping up that pretty little mouth?
- Do lip fillers hurt? Are they painful?
- Is it worth hitching up those big girl panties and overcoming the fear of needles?
- Or does the potential for pain even remotely come close to what’s been built up in your imagination?
These questions and more may be running through your mind as you contemplate whether to take the plunge into the world of medical aesthetics.
Elevate at Alaska Women’s Health is a medical aesthetics company in Anchorage that provides BOTOX and Juvéderm injections for cosmetic purposes. We understand that the decision to undergo any cosmetic procedure is deeply personal and should never be taken lightly. Our team of skilled medical professionals is dedicated to providing the finest non-surgical cosmetic services Alaska. We want to help you fall in love with your skin and radiate with the confidence you deserve!
Ready to discuss whether lip fillers are right for you? Call Elevate today and schedule a consultation!
What Are Lip Fillers?
Lip fillers are simple, non-invasive, and virtually painless. With its immediate results and ease of recovery, it’s no wonder it is one of the top non-surgical aesthetic procedures performed each year. In 2020, over 3.4 million Americans enjoyed plumping up their lips through dermal filler injections. Not even a global pandemic or mask mandate was able to quench the fire of this health and beauty trend!
Lip fillers are made with hyaluronic acid (HA)—a substance naturally produced within the body that attracts moisture and holds up to 1000 times its own weight. It’s commonly used in luxury skincare products to help hydrate the skin and plump up fine lines. HA naturally degrades over time, which varies depending on one’s metabolism. While it is rare that someone is not in love with their results, HA dermal filler treatment can be reversed through hyaluronidase—a family of enzymes that accelerate the breakdown of hyaluronic acid.
Elevate at Alaska Women’s Health chooses Juvéderm as its product of choice for lip filler services. Juvéderm’s product line combines a mild local anesthetic with HA that is gently injected using a tiny needle. When injected into the lips, Juvéderm dermal fillers can help:
- Restore volume to your lips
- Reduce wrinkles
- Redefine your natural lip line
- Correct lip symmetry
With Juvéderm you’ll enjoy a plumper, fuller mouth immediately following the procedure!
Let’s Begin with a Consultation
When you come to Elevate for your initial consultation, our dedicated medical experts will work with you to determine the right course of action to achieve your desired look. We will study your face and its symmetry and listen to how you feel about your appearance. We’ll evaluate your goals, discuss expectations and provide recommendations for your personalized treatment plan. Whether you’re seeking to add volume, reduce the signs of aging or create symmetrical correction, our compassionate doctors and nurses are here to help.
In addition to discussing your goals for your desired look and what you can expect, your Elevate medical professional will also want to discuss your medical history.
- Are you pregnant or nursing? While no medical studies have been confirmed the safety for use by pregnant or nursing mothers, it is recommended to wait until after these precious seasons are complete before seeking any dermal filler treatment.
- Do you suffer from cold sore breakouts? It is possible that dermal fillers may aggravate or spread the existing virus. Speak to your doctor or nurse to address the safest course of action to prevent cold sore aggravation.
- Does the sight or use of needles produce anxiety? Your Elevate medical professional may incorporate breaks or other modalities to help ease anxiety. Our goal is to make your dermal filler experience as pleasant as possible.
- Are you on any medications or supplements, such as blood thinners? Be prepared to discuss any and all so your medical expert can make the correct recommendations before your procedure.
Lastly, your Elevate medical expert will go over what you can expect during the procedure as well as specific instructions for before and aftercare.
What Do Lip Fillers Feel Like?
Juvéderm lip fillers are an excellent alternative to lip augmentation (implant) surgery. The procedure may take between 30 minutes and 2 hours to complete, and the results may last between 12 to 18 months. Although they do not stop the aging process, they can add a dramatic boost to one’s appearance.
While everyone’s threshold for pain is different, the procedure is virtually painless for most patients. A topical numbing cream is applied 15-30 minutes before the procedure to alleviate discomfort. Juvéderm injections contain a local anesthetic as well. Still some patients report feeling a subtle pinch or minor discomfort that is both brief and manageable.
Elevate’s skilled professionals carefully inject Juvéderm into the lips using a tiny needle. Depending upon your goals, your doctor or nurse may elect a gradual course over multiple sessions to avoid over-treatment. This conservative approach may help prevent pain and bruising, as well as provide a more natural smooth appearance. Your provider may also use ice periodically to prevent swelling and circumvent any discomfort.
How to Minimize Lip Filler Side Effects
Healing time may vary from person to person. Your best defense in preventing unwanted side effects is to pay close attention to your doctor’s before and aftercare instructions. It’s normal to experience tingling, twinges of discomfort, swelling and even some bruising. We recommend the following to help make your recovery easy-peasy.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for the first 24-48 hours
- Take acetaminophen or use Arnica topical anesthetic cream to relieve discomfort
- Apply a small cold compress for a few minutes at a time to reduce swelling and bruising, but avoid putting ice directly on your face.
- Light massage may be recommended by your doctor.
- If swelling or bruising persists or worsens after a few days, call your provider.
Although changes are noticeable right away, it is important to remember that it takes time for dermal fillers to settle revealing the final results.
Tips for Eating and Drinking After Lip Filler Procedures
It’s best to wait until topical anesthetic has completely worn off before eating or drinking. Much like the aftermath of a dental appointment, you don’t want to risk accidentally biting your lips. On top of causing injury, biting can disturb the filler and cause it to shift or migrate. For the first 24 hours you’ll want to follow these tips to avoid disturbing the dermal filler gel.
- Pass on eating messy foods. While you may be craving your favorite comfort foods, you’ll want to hold off on the hot wings and baby back ribs until your fillers have time to settle.
- A lady blots her mouth and doesn’t wipe. If you do need to use a napkin or tissue, dab or blot carefully and avoid wiping motions.
- Skip the silly straw. Puckering or contracting lips can also disturb the filler. Avoid drinking through a straw or smoking.
- Stay on the wagon. Forgo the alcohol for at least 24 hours. Alcohol thins the blood which can increase bruising. Give a little time before toasting with friends.
How to Get Natural Looking Lip Fillers in Anchorage
Lip fillers is an incredibly rejuvenating treatment, whether you are fighting signs of aging or desire a boost to your already youthful face. Juvéderm lip filler provides healthy, natural looking fullness. At Elevate at Alaska Women’s Health, all our injections are administered by medical professionals with a clinical nursing background or medical degree. Our goal is to deliver the finest medical aesthetics treatment that is safe, artistic and luxurious.
Call Elevate at Alaska Women’s Health today and let us help you fall in love with your skin!